Thursday, January 6, 2011

Poetry is a packsack of invisible keepsakes. ~ Carl Sandburg

Name Today: Nina

Of Interesting Note: It's National Be On-Purpose Month!

Toast of the Day: "Here's to reading something you really like and realizing you wrote it."

(Model: Laura, my muse)

A Muse I Do Summon

Too focused to wither, to let it all fall,
A muse I do summon, to answer the call.

Imbue me with textures and tasty delights,
Help it flow freely, the wave of insights.

A map I do have, to show me the way,
Resistance tugs; I shall keep it at bay.

Courage and discipline, I traverse alone,
Help target from whence inspiration doth shone.

The hierarchy of helpers, I do so implore,
Effortless prose, shall now come to the fore.

So shall it be!

~ Lita

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



(Me in a past life)

Dance for Yourself

From the depths of the Earth to the core of our being
the pulse of life beats, a rhythm unceasing.

Sounds take on shape with design and style
forming patterns and motifs, enough to beguile.

With circles and lines, sways and curves
zigzags galore, textures and swerves.

Movement emerges, like a wave from the ocean
a dance they call it, all action and motion.

Diverse and varied, dance does come
fulfilling needs in any spectrum.

From expression and healing, to birthing and fun
exercise, fertility ... mostly celebration.

Too many to name, but many to favor
Belly Dance is one I especially savor.

With flutters and shimmies done loosely or tight,
undulations and accents, an amazing sight.

With women dancing for women is how it began
to entertain and party, not seduce a man.

Keeping it sensual, not sexual, we continue to strive
it takes commitment, skill and plenty of drive.

With varied styles based upon region,
blending them wisely creates a nice fusion.

With colorful costumes of coins and beading
the dance may look simple.  This is misleading.

It takes muscle control to master isolations.
This art requires energy and a lot of patience.

Regardless of age, shape, creed or race,
Belly Dance can be done by anyone with grace.

Hired for parties, weddings and special events
paid gigs and shows are not always incumbent.

A thing to remember in any case
is dance for yourself first and the rest falls into place.

~ Lita

Yesterday was spent working out, catching up on E-mails and rest ... so I'll revisit yesterday's exercise this time next year ☺

Due to my busy-ness, I had to keep today's post simple, and figured there was no better time to get maximum picture mileage. 

1 comment:

Laura said...

Great poems Lita! I love both of them and both of the images of course! Dance for Yourself was a wonderful insight to the art form. I had no idea it started women dancing for women. I quite like that. :)